27 August 2008

"I am Francis"

A great poem by that scoundrel poet, François Villon, of the 15th century.

The context this poem was written under is pretty remarkable. He was convicted of murdering a priest in a street brawl. He would eventually receive a royal pardon; however, he was three times in jail under a death sentence. This poem was written in 1462 in a Paris jail cell while Villon awaited execution. Literally, gallows humor.



Je Suis Françoys

Je suis Françoys dont il me poise

Né de Paris emprè Pontoise

Et de la corde d'une toise
Sçaura mon col que mon cul poise
I am Francis

Francis by name, France's by birth
(I've never had much luck on earth),
At Paris first I op'd my eyes
(It is a hamlet near Pointoise);
And soon my neck, to end the farce,
Must learn how heavy is my arse.



Translation by Norman Cameron.

No comments: