28 September 2008

Do or Die

It's come down to the 162nd game of the season for the Brewers to make the playoffs for the first time since '82. The September Slip really hurt the Brewers, but they've clawed their way back just enough to stay even with the Mets in the wildcard race.

Living in NYC, my allegiance to my hometown teams in Milwaukee hasn't waivered; in fact, it's strengthened it. I even bought a Cooperstown '78 retro road hat to represent, apparently much to the detriment of my wardrobe. Too many spoiled New Yorkers wear Yankee hats; they're easy to dismiss as the brats of baseball. But with the Mets, it's a little different. They're disgruntled with their team's uncanny ability to screw up when it counts; something a Brewer fan can relate to. And with this the last season in Shea, it makes their playoff run all the more special.

BUT, the Brewers really deserve a playoff berth. New York will always have a huge market for their teams, high payroll, plenty of people to pack the stadiums. But Milwaukee home-brewed their talent in their farm system. These guys have known and played ball together for years (Rickie Weeks was Prince Fielder's Best Man at his wedding). They're young, they're passionate, and baseball in Milwaukee hasn't been this exciting ever (being born in '82, I missed out). I remember attending the filming of Major League when I was a youngin. I remember being confused by how many people were in the stadium and why they were cheering so loud. In the last two years at Miller Park, the stadium has been even more raucaus. Fans actually had something to cheer and care about, and not just drunkenly jeer at their own team. Going to County Stadium/Miller Park was like going to a really big bar/party where there happen to be a baseball game being played (I'll be the first to admit that I used to go to games and not remember who the starting pitchers were or the final score).

I'd say odds are with the Mets. They should take 2/3 from the Marlins. Brewers have struggled in the latter half of the season against the Cubs, who own the best record in the NL. While the Cubs will not be playing for anything and probably be resting their big talent, they are still tough and will gladly strive to ruin the Brewers' year, as the heated I-94 rivalry culminates today (hopefully to be rekindled in the post-season).

This is good flippin baseball.

I've been very, very critical of the Crew all year. For the past three years, actually. But it's because, these days, they actually have a chance to compete. They're damn good, and it's exciting. Expectations are high. But come what may, they have my unconditional love (cue music). Helluva season, fellas. Tip of the hat!

GO BREWERS!



No comments: